What is Mayonnaise?
- Mayonnaise is a thick, creamy sauce or dressing that is made of oil, egg yolks, lemon juice or vinegar, and seasonings. It’s not the same as salad dressing, which doesn’t contain egg yolks and is generally sweeter than mayonnaise.
- Mayonnaise is an emulsion, which is a mixture of two liquids that normally can’t be combined. Combining oil and water is the classic example. Emulsifying is done by slowly adding one ingredient to another while simultaneously mixing rapidly. This disperses and suspends tiny droplets of one liquid through another.
- However, the two liquids would quickly separate again if an emulsifier were not added. Emulsifiers are liaisons between the two liquids and serve to stabilize the mixture. Eggs and gelatin are among the foods that contain emulsifiers. In mayonnaise, the emulsifier is egg yolk, which contains lecithin, a fat emulsifier.
- Emulsifiers are molecules with a fat-soluble part and a water-soluble part. The fat-loving part sticks to the oil, and the water-soluble part sticks to the water, creating an effective barrier around the droplets thus it is a component that coats the droplets, keeping them separate from each other because when left the droplets will clump together, causing the emulsion to separate. Egg Yolk containing lecithin is an example of an emulsifier.
Mayonnaise is made by combining lemon juice or vinegar with egg yolks. Eggs (containing the emulsifier lecithin) bind the ingredients together and prevent separation. Then, oil is added drop by drop as the mixture is rapidly whisked. Adding oil too quickly (or insufficient, rapid whisking) will keep the two liquids from combining (emulsifying). But, as the sauce begins to thicken, oil can be added more rapidly. Seasonings are whisked in after all of the oil has been added.
Mayonnaise contains a massive fraction of fat, and it is measured in percent. There are three types of mayonnaise in accordance with its fat content:
1.High-calorie mayonnaise contains fifty-five percent or more fat
2.Medium-calorie mayonnaise has forty to fifty-five percent of fat
3.Low-calorie mayonnaise only contains forty percent of fat.
Egg yolks and vegetable oil are the two main ingredients in making mayonnaise. Most of the mayonnaise is made with sunflower oil or olive oil, but there are some who use oils from soy, peanut, or corn.
Different oils have different tastes, and using sunflower oil is cheaper than olive oil. Moreover, due to the modernization and fast production of mayonnaise, most manufacturers use egg powder instead of real eggs. Consumers prefer mayonnaise with real egg yolks, it has a delicious taste than those who use egg powder or egg products on their mayonnaise. However, the taste is subjective. It is your preference which tastes better.
Make sure that the components of the mayonnaise are in quality and natural.
There are different types of mayonnaise packaging. Some mayonnaise is packed in jars, bags, buckets, or squeeze bottles. Some prefer mayonnaise in a glass jar because it is environmental-friendly as you can recycle the container. Among all, bottles packaging is dominating the market, whereas sachets are expected to grow at a higher rate in the coming years.
Role of Different Ingredient on the quality and processing of Mayonnaise
- Oil– It is the main ingredient in mayonnaise and therefore it has a large influence on the quality of the final product. The amount of oil dispersed in the mayonnaise contributes to the viscoelastic behaviour and stability of the product. The oil also impacts the organoleptic properties by providing creaminess and flavour to the mayonnaise. It is therefore important to use an oil with a neutral taste, like rapeseed oil, sunflower oil, or grapeseed oil.
- Egg– In industries pasteurized liquid egg yolk or powdered egg yolk is generally used. Egg yolk is more commonly used as compared to egg white because of its greater emulsifier properties, while egg white also shows some emulsifying ability, but egg yolk is four times more effective. LDL is often referred to as the primary reason for the excellent emulsifying properties.
- Vinegar– Vinegar used in mayonnaise contributes to the flavour of the mayonnaise and it also decreases the pH, helping in the microbiological safety and preservation.
- Salt and Sugar– Salt contributes to the flavour and to the stability of the mayonnaise Salt help to neutralize the charges of the proteins (from eggs) so they can adsorb more efficiently to the droplet interface. Sugar also contributes to the flavour of the mayonnaise and is added mainly to counteract the flavour of vinegar.
- Mustard– Mustard contributes to the flavour and colour of mayonnaise. Most of the flavour in mustard comes from the isothiocyanates.
Is Mayonnaise Processing Profitable?
- Mayonnaise is used as an emulsifier in the food industry. It is a thick and creamy dressing used as a condiment on various cuisines. The standard mayonnaise is a stable emulsion of oil, egg yolk, and either lemon juice or vinegar with many other herbs and spices. Egg-free alternatives are also available in market for vegans and those allergic to eggs. Moreover, most of the fat present in the condiment is unsaturated or good fat as the edible oils used come from plant sources and they are potential source of antioxidant vitamins, which is attracting health conscious population. Additionally, increasing consumption of mayonnaise in different cuisines is driving the growth of the global mayonnaise market.
- Mayonnaise is a thick, creamy sauce or dressing that is made from oil, egg yolks, vinegar, and various seasonings. Increasing consumption of sauces and dressings is driving the mayonnaise market. Growing working population and increasing trend of convenience foods are likely to boost the growth of the mayonnaise market.
- Changing consumer lifestyles and hectic work schedules, which have led to the increased consumption of convenient meal options, like salad, sandwiches, wraps, etc., that require minimal cooking, are driving the global mayonnaise market. Furthermore, the shifting consumer inclination towards healthy product variants, such as eggless, low-fat, gluten-free, and organic mayonnaise, is also bolstering the market growth. Additionally, the introduction of innovative flavors, such as mint, cheese, chipotle, tangy pickle, tandoori, etc., is catering to the diverse tastes and preferences of an extensive consumer base. This is further expected to propel the global mayonnaise market in the coming years.
Mayonnaise Market Outlook
- Mayonnaise and Salad dressing market is predicted to increase at a CAGR of more than 20% over next six years. Fun Foods, Cremica, Del Monte, Sil, Kraft and American Garden are the major players operating in the market. Eggless mayonnaise dominates the mayonnaise market whereas Fun Foods is the leading player from many decades. Metro cities of India account for a considerable market share in the sales of mayonnaise and salad dressing products, with various variants specifically growing rapidly among upper middle class consumers.
- India Mayonnaise & Salad Dressing Market is projected to grow by 2021 due to growing trend of international food, awareness, increasing disposable income, and growing demand in middle class people and rising number of international food chains in the country. The unorganized players in this industry are lagging behind as compared to organized players as institutional food players focus more on quality rather than prices. Hence, they consume only branded mayonnaise and salad dressing products.
- Mayonnaise made from eggs is dominating the market whereas, mayonnaise made from eggless raw material is expected to grow at a substantial rate. On the basis of specialty food type, the mayonnaise market is segmented into gluten-free, kosher, organic, vegan, GMO- free, and others. Growing inclination of consumers towards plant-based products is boosting the demand for organic mayonnaise segment
- Mayonnaise market is segmented on the basis of raw material such as egg, eggless, and others. Mayonnaise made from eggs is dominating the market whereas, mayonnaise made from eggless raw material is expected to grow at a substantial rate.
- On the basis of specialty food type, the mayonnaise market is segmented into gluten-free, kosher, organic, vegan, GMO- free, and others. Growing inclination of consumers towards plant-based products is boosting the demand for organic mayonnaise segment.
Seven steps to follow to start a profitable Mayonnaise Processing business
Here are the 7 steps to follow to start a profitable Mayonnaise Processing business:
- Have a Business Strategy
- Choose a Location for Mayonnaise Processing Factory
- Name your Mayonnaise Processing Business
- Make the Business Legally Compliant
- Machine & Equipment for Mayonnaise Processing
- Mayonnaise Manufacturing Process
- Promote your Products
1. Create a Business Plan
When it comes to setting up a business, it is important that you have a set business strategy to follow. Remember that you will need to know what you are doing. The best way to do this, is to plan out every aspect of your business.
Take the time to draw out the right target market for your business. You should also take the time to come up with a mayonnaise recipe that your customers will love.
If possible, you should hire a food scientist that will not only replicate, but even enhance your mayonnaise recipe. If you have the time and the means, you should also have your food scientist make other flavors for your mayonnaise.
If you are starting with less capital, the immediate market you must concentrate on is your local community. Research the local market and analyze the demand of local customers. Go to retail markets and find out what kind of items is selling most and the taste of your local market.
Learn the Mayonnaise Processing Production Process– It is best if you can meet existing mayonnaise processing manufacturers and visit their units. This will give you a fair idea of the production process and various machinery required to produce mayonnaise-processed items. Also, try to learn the manufacturing process in detail when you talk to equipment manufacturers.
2. Choose a Location for Mayonnaise Processing Business (Plant Location)
- Find a location, where distribution cost is low. The location should be nearer to the suppliers who will supply raw materials to your plant. It also should not be too far from the immediate market where you will be supplying finished goods.
- Choosing a suitable location for your mayonnaise processing plant is a very important factor that can determine how successful and profitable the business grows.
3. Name your Mayonnaise Processing Business
Select a name that people can relate to your mayonnaise processing company. Do not forget to check the availability of a similar domain name to the company name. This helps you in creating a website similar to the company name.
4. Make the Business Legally Compliant
In starting any mayonnaise processing business you must obtain the following registration and license from the concerned department.
1.Register your firm with ROC as per the management liability and mode of operation.
2.Obtain Trade License from local Authority
3.Open a current account for a cash transaction
4.Obtain Udyog Aadhaar MSME registration.
5.Obtain FSSAI license
6.Apply for GST registration number
7.Obtain, BIS certification.
Choose the right form of your business according to the ownership and investment pattern. It is advisable to consult with a small business expert to understand the permission and licensing issues. We should also not forget to get your manufacturing unit insured.
5. Machine & Equipment for Mayonnaise Processing
Few equipment’s which are required in other condiment business such as jams, dressings, sauces, many such are as below:
- Pulper/ Cutter
- Blending Tank
- Mixer & Grinder
- Cap sealing machine
- Bottle washing machine
- Carton sealing machine/ hand operated label gumming machine.
- Juice extractor
- Steam jacketed kettle
6. Mayonnaise Manufacturing Process
- The first and the second operational speeds may have the same values, i.e. they may be equal. The third operational speed is advantageously higher than the second operational speed
- Mixing into the pre-emulsion denotes a state where the vegetable oil, water and egg ingredient has formed an emulsion.
- The given diagram below represents the manufacturing of Mayonnaise. Firstly, the egg is supplied into the mixing tank and subsequently, water with sugar already dissolved in it is added. Immediately, the agitator of the mixing tank is switched on and the oil is slowly added into the tank where the pre-emulsion is to be prepared. Then vinegar with previously dissolved salt and lemon juice is added. Once the pre-emulsion is completed, the pump and the mixer is switched on to recirculate the product till the mayonnaise is obtained. When the mayonnaise is prepared, it is transferred into the buffer tank and it is ready for packaging.
- But sometimes, due to some factors like the stirring speed, temperature, egg content, egg type and oil content causes changes in the quality of the mayonnaise and even lead to phase-inversion (water-in-oil (W/O) emulsion forms instead of oil-in-water) producing broken mayonnaise, which is characterized by very low viscosity, close to the viscosity of the oil.
7. Promote your Products
- Promotion and marketing are the musts to get overall success in this business. Additionally, you must pay attention to the packaging. There are various packaging styles for processed mayonnaise products. You could choose to use bottles, sachet or even plastics. Whichever choice you choose for any of your products, just ensure that the packing is appealing and unique.
- First of all, try to hit the local consumers. And a well-penetrated distribution channel is the best option to capture the local retail market.
- Additionally, supermarkets and malls are great places to promote your product. If you are starting mayonnaise processing on a large scale, you can consider export also.
- If you want to sell your mayonnaise as effectively as possible, you should make sure that you have an effective marketing platform to sell it through. One of the most important marketing platforms you could have, is a website. By having a website, you will be able to market your wares in the most effective way possible.
- You could also join business conventions and food fairs. By doing so, you will have various ways to expand your marketing network.