Hand Sanitizer Overview
- Hand sanitizers are products that typically come in a spray or a gel that, when applied to your hands as directed, can reduce the number of potentially disease-causing germs on your hands.
- Hand sanitizers, otherwise known as hand antiseptics is an alternative to hand washing with soap and water. It can be made in different form such as gel, foam and liquid solution (sprays). The base of all hand sanitizers is alcohol . The alcohol used may be isopropyl alcohol (Isopropanol), ethanol-propanol or povidone-iodine. Alcohol based hand sanitizer are more effective in killing microorganisms.
- An alcohol is any organic compound in which the hydroxyl functional group (OH) is bound to a saturated carbon atom. The primary alcohol usually forms the base of hand sanitizer which is about 60%.
- Hand sanitizers effectiveness starts with its formula. The base of all handsanitizers is alcohol,added to vitamin E, aloe vera (or another softeningingredient), and glycerine. The essential, and germ killing ingredient in hand sanitizers is the alcohol, and the minimum amount one needs for a sanitizer is 60%
There are a few core ingredients that make up many hand sanitizer products.
Typical active ingredients:
- Ethanol (ethyl alcohol),
- Isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol or 2-propanol), or
- Benzalkonium chloride The active ingredients can break apart the cell membranes of many bacteria and viruses, thus destroying them.Inactive ingredients:
- Emollients (e.g., glycerin): help moisturize skin
- Polyacrylate (e.g., sodium polyacrylate): helps to thicken and stabilizes the ingredients
- Fragrance: helps improve the scent
- Water: carrier ingredient for the other active and inactive ingredients.
Benefits of Hand Sanitizers
Cleanliness: Hand sanitizers are designed to kill germs and keep hands sanitized. With proper use, hand sanitizers are capable of eliminating 99.9% of germs on the hands. It can be used as an occasional replacement of soap and water.
Portability: Hand sanitizers come in small, portable containers which make it easier to carry in the purse wherever you go. It works perfect when you go for a grab in public places or outside.
Lessens risk of diseases: During the monsoon or a pandemic, frequent sanitization of hands decreases the chances of contracting the disease. Studies also show that the risk of spreading gastrointestinal (stomach) and respiratory infection is decreased by frequent use of hand sanitizer.
Softer Hands: Hand sanitizers without alcohol are beneficial for the skin. It improves the texture of the skin in your hands. Some hand sanitizers comprise emollients which moisturize and soften your hands.
These are the main benefits of using hand sanitizer regularly. Using hand sanitizers on a daily basis guarantees more cleanliness and less diseases.
Is Hand Sanitizer Business Profitable?
- Hand hygiene is one of the most important measured to prevent the spread of infectious diseases. It is an integral procedure in the healthcare
environment. Similarly, it is very important for the community as well. As
per an estimate, simple hand washing can save about one million lives per year. As a result of rising awareness about hand hygiene and its benefits, there has been a constant increase in demand of hand sanitizers. to meet the high demands of the hand sanitizers.
- The Coronavirus pandemic has suddenly increased the demand for hand sanitizers throughout the world because of the preventive requirement of frequent handwashing. With the soaring demand, the supply of hand sanitizers has reduced to a great extent, creating demand higher than before.
- Under such circumstances, you can start the business of hand sanitizers and sell them through the selling networks and earn good profits. Making Alcohol-based hand sanitizers is not a very difficult task as it does not need specific temperature, heating, or any laboratory setup.
7 Steps to Start a Hand Sanitizer Business
1. The Important Points to Remember in Making Hand Sanitizers
You know that alcohol-based hand sanitizers are now high in demand. You have to remember certain points regarding these hand sanitizers before you start making them.
- Alcohol-based hand sanitizers should contain at least 60% or more Alcohol.
- The Alcohol you use for making the hand sanitizers should contain at least 90% or more alcohol.
- The water you are using in making the hand sanitizer should be distilled water at normal room temperature. If it is not available, boil the normal water, cool it, and then use it.
- If you are using Glycerine, you have to use pure glycerine or 98% glycerine.
- Try to buy the required ingredients from a renowned chemist shop or a reputed online portal.
2. Hand Sanitizer Manufacturing Process
Creating a sanitizer is a simple procedure. You should manufacture it according to WHO rules during this period of the Coronavirus epidemic. To make 10 litres of hand sanitizer, use the following ingredients:
- Ethanol (96% Alcohol): 8333 ml
- Hydrogen peroxide 3%: 417 ml
- Glycerol 98%: 145 ml
Pour the Ethanol into a 10-liter bottle or jar with markings as the first step. Then, using a measuring cylinder, add the hydrogen peroxide. Using a measuring cylinder, add the glycerol. Because glycerol is so sticky, one may wash it with filtered water or cold water that has been heated. Fill the jar halfway with filtered water or cold boiling water, then close it. Shake the items gently or use a paddle to combine them. Fill bottles with the solution of your choosing. After 72 hours of isolation in a cold environment, these bottles are ready to use. This period is used to determine whether any of the components or bottles contain spores.
Alternatively, you can also use:
- Isopropyl alcohol (with 99.8% Alcohol content): 7515 ml
- Hydrogen peroxide 3%: 417 ml
- Glycerol 98%: 145 ml
- Follow the same method as said earlier.
3. The Legal Requirements for Hand Sanitizer Business
A 2000 Sq Ft space is sufficient for starting a small-scale operation. Apart from the production area, you will need to have space for storage and office work. Check the location before finalizing the place. You must have electricity, an adequate water supply, and a good drainage system. Additionally, you must have a laboratory setup for testing and quality maintenance.
Some of the basic required machines are
- S.S. Jacketed Vessel with stirrer & speed control.
- Semi-automatic bottle filling machine.
- Storage Tanks, LLDPE,
- Tools & Misc. equipment
- Water circulating Pump
- Testing & laboratory equipment
4. Face Wash Manufacturing Process & Raw Materials
There are certain legal requirements for you to start your business with hand sanitizers. To manage a successful business, you must adhere to the following:
- You have to register your business and select an appropriate business structure.
- Get your business insured.
- Give your business a suitable name.
- Open a bank account in the name of your business.
- You have to get the permission of the local Food and Drug Authorities and obtain relevant licenses to start your business.
- Since you have to use alcohol for making the hand sanitizers, you need a buying and storage license for Alcohol.
- You also need to follow the Fire Safety Rules to run your business.
5. The Economics of Hand Sanitizer Business
The price of hand sanitizers is soaring in recent times, due to heavy demand. You can very well get good profits by selling your hand sanitizers at a very modest price of $ 1 per ounce.
The cost of ingredients is not high. With a few trials and errors, you can successfully make hand sanitizers yourself and it will serve the purpose in this hour of dire necessity.
The approximate costs of raw materials are as follows:
- Isopropyl Alcohol at 1760.874USD/MT
- Ethanol at 1.03USD/Gallon
- Hydrogen Peroxide at 112.737USD/MT
- Glycerine at 1.00-5.00 USD / Kilogram
- Fine Spray Bottles 12 Packs, 60ml 2oz 21.89USD
So, you can easily make out from the list that you will be able to earn good profits from the hand sanitizer business plan if you start on a small scale.
6. Manpower You Need for Your Hand Sanitizer Business Plan
It will be profitable for you if you can start your business with minimum people because you do not have expenses on salaries.
Start the business with a person to assist you, a delivery person to deliver the hand sanitizers to different selling locations (you can do this yourself too), and of course, a good marketing person.
Take care of the banking and accounts yourself to start with. That will show the progress of your business directly.
7. Marketing Strategies of Hand Sanitizers
There can be several selling strategies. Discuss your plans with your marketing consultant. You can create your own website in the name of your business and share the links to your social networking sites to publicize the name of your business.
Selling through online portals is also a good option.
You can distribute flyers in your locality and as a promotional strategy give away some free samples. Contact with the pharmacies and medicine shops is also a good strategy.
Get in touch with the doctors and clinics and give them some free samples. Also, stress the point that you have made the hand sanitizers as per the guidelines of WHO.
Contact the corporate offices and hospitals. If possible, make a PowerPoint Presentation describing your manufacturing process and the cleanliness and health guidelines you follow.
Make arrangements for online selling and payment facilities. Doorstep delivery is also a good selling strategy.
* Where to Sell Hand Sanitizers?
Now that there is a huge demand for hand sanitizers everywhere, your list of prospective customers is a long one. Some of the places where you can approach to sell your hand sanitizer products:
- Pharmacies & Medicine Shops
- Hospitals & Health Centres
- Quarantine Centres
- Schools & Colleges
- Government Offices
After your business volume gets increased, you can add some value to your product by adding Aloe Vera Gel and Essential Oils to make the product more skin-friendly and with good perfumes. Then you can increase the price also.
With the increase in the volume of your business, you can also go for large-scale production. In that case, hire a professional chemist and an accountant to take care of production and finance respectively.